Monday, June 18, 2012

The Mysterious Building in the Distance

Today`s pictures (which is what you were really looking forward to, I know) are of... the Mysterious Building in the Distance.

No matter where you are in Atsubetsu, you can almost always see the Mysterious Building in the Distance, so naturally ever since I arrived here I have wanted to go there and check it out. But we never had time on p-days (or so I thought) to go all the way over to it, so everytime we would dendo (do missionary work in Japanese) I would always joke around and say `let`s go to the really tall building!` and then Ochiai Shimai would say `ok, you can go. I will see you later!.` Yesterday, when we were housing in a new area, we followed the same pattern. But as we kept working and traveling up this huge hill in the neighborhood, the building kept getting bigger and bigger, and when we went out to the main road to find the next area we wanted to go to... there it was! We were practically at the bottom of it. So we took a little bit of our dinner break and took pictures. It is huge! And it turns out that it isn`t far away at all. Going home from there only took all of like ten minutes, haha.

What is the Mysterious Building in the Distance actually? Um... I`m not entirely sure, haha. The name was in Japanese and I didn`t really have time to find the description. But I think it is some commemorative anniversary Sapporo thing, We want to go back on a clear p-day and climb it (you can see the whole city from it! I think) so I will let you know then. In then mean time, enjoy the pics! Oh, and since I know my mom will ask, the green cardigan is from a member.

My proudest accomplishment of the week was having a successful normal conversation with an investigator. I walked into the apartment and saw a Mark Rothko block print, which I happen to like quite a lot, so I remarked on it. She got all excited (apparently not many people in Japan know who Rothko is) and showed me two more prints in another room (she`s really into art, and creating art) which led into a conversation about how I did study abroad in London, where I saw a huge Rothko exhibit and she talked about how she had seen them at an art museum too, and how you can`t look at them in a book you have to see them in person because the atmosphere is entirely different. Ok, maybe my part consisted mostly of `I like Rothko` `i studied and london and went to art museums,` and `book is not the same.` But even though the conversation was super basic it felt really great to be able to build more of a relationship like a normal person with an investigator!

Random Fun Japanese Word of the Week
houcouonchi = no sense of direction
plus a bonus!
nen no tame ni = just in case
Scripture of the week!
1 Nephi 10:19 (Cook of Mormon)
For he that dillegently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost, as well in these times as in times of old, and as well in times as old as in times to come; wherefore, the course of God is one eternal round.
(I love this scripture because the miracles of the Bible really aren`t a thing of the past, which only happened then and are over now. God is always the same, and he loves us just as much now as he loved the people then, so we can recieve the same blessings in our lives! He always wants to help us if we let Him.)
Things in Atsubetsu are going well! The work definitely requires patience, but it is a lot of fun at the same time. Hopefully you can get a little feel for that from the emails. It is always so hard to know what to write about... if you have any tips send a letter my way! I will gladly receive it!
Love you all.

Bonus pics flowers from a member that make me really happy every time I see them on our table. I don`t have my nice camera, but I wanted to share some of their happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...